Jorge Almeida wrote:
After much labor, I managed to clean my system (i.e., revdep-rebuild -p
is happy). However, I started having locale problems (which I hadn't
formerly). It shows up with perl and vim.
I want the system to recognize Portuguese accented characters but
otherwise to use English as general language (meaning the language used
in error messages in bash, etc).
I didn't have the file /etc/env.d/02locale (can't imagine why).
    $ cat /etc/env.d/02locale
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TYPE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
I followed (more or less)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_UTF-8_enabled_system
(It says
    LC_ALL=it_IT.UTF-8
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
but isn't this wrong? man locale says LC_ALL overrides LC_*, if I
understood correctly.)
Well, perl is not happy:
$ perl -e ""
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_MONETARY = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]",
    LC_TYPE = "pt_PT.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_US.ISO-8859-1"
are supported and installed
on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back
to the standard locale ("C")

Writing in vim gives all sorts of silly output.
What to do? Something to emerge? Some kernel config problem?
Why didn't /etc/env.d/02locale exist?
I compiled glibc without the userlocales USE variable, so all locales
should exist...

/etc/env.d/02locale doesn't exist by default.  I can see from the perl warning that
02local didn't work for you because it says en_US.ISO-8859-1 instead of en_US.UTF-8.
You need to run env-update && source /etc/profile.

Zac