On 8/24/2010 5:15 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
There is no such package. There are only very few -bin packages. In
other words, "-bin" is not a magic string you append to package names.

As for Wine, the ebuild changed recently to offer both 64bit as well as
32bit Wine. I think the binaries are called "wine32" and "wine64". Two
new USE flags have been introduced to control this: "win32" and "win64".
By default, both are enabled. If you disable the "win64" USE flag,
you'll get only the 32bit Wine. And vice versa of course.

Thank you, that helps a great deal. Is it correct that if a program does have a -bin package I can emerge that and have it work as a 32 bit program in the 64 bit environment (and the same with wine32)?

Thank you for your patience explaining such probably simple stuff to a newbie. Even reading through the documents ahead of time gentoo seems to take a bit to wrap your brain around, but I love it so far and am learning a ton. :)