but wait . . . he said, replying to his own message.
I found this page:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2871&sid=8511ebb8e725982cd47d2106049897bd

which says in part:

I am running freetype-2.1.7, as was installed with the Xorg packages.
Symlinks were correct, as you specified. I was having no problems at all
until I attempted to compile the Gimp-2.0.2, and at that point I made
what I believe is a correction to the freetype.h file (I moved #include
<ft2build.h> before #ifndef FT_FREETYPE_H)  I am not a C programmer, so
the logic I used may be errent... but it is the only thing I changed,
and I was then able to compile the Gimp.  (I did not reboot, ldconfig,
anything.)

about the same error message.

I did:
emerge -C freetype
and removed both instances of freetype
then
emerge freetype
to install the latest
then I edited freetype.h as this user did and it seems to be working.  I
was also unable to upgrade gtk+ and turns out I was having the exact
same error compiling that.  I just emerged gtk+ with no problem, and am
currently working on Firefox.

Only three more problems to solve, and I'll be happy.  Until the next
time I break it anyhow....

Adrian

--
On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography:  http://204EastSouth.com
Purchase from On The Fly:  http://204EastSouth.com/OTFStore.htm
The Cynical Libertarian Society:  http://www.204EastSouth.com/cls