Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 18:03 on Monday 30 August 2010, Paul Hartman
did opine thusly:

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Daniel Pielmeier<bil...@gentoo.org>  wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras schrieb am 27.08.2010 18:06:
On 08/27/2010 07:02 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
Actually, you can:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/index.htm

(Read the section below "Use a label"):

fstab:
LABEL=ROOT          /         ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=BOOT          /boot     ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=SWAP          swap      swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=HOME          /home     ext3    nosuid,auto     1 2
This syntax never worked here.  Always resulted in an unbootable system.
  Only the /dev/disk/by-label/ syntax works reliably.
Afaik if you are using GRUB LEGACY (0.97) and want to use LABEL/UUID in
your grub.conf/menu.lst you also need an initrd. I think with GRUB 2
(1.98) it is possible without. You don't need an initrd for LABEL/UUID
in /etc/fstab for both cases.
FWIW I'm using sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10 with GPT, labeled partitions and
no initrd. My kernel has EFI_PARTITION compiled in (no module).

My fstab looks like this:

LABEL=swap       none            swap            sw              0 0
LABEL=boot      /boot    ext2    defaults,noatime                1 2
LABEL=root       /       ext4    defaults,noatime                0 1
LABEL=home      /home   ext4    defaults,noatime        0 1

My kernel boot commandline still specified root by device name
/dev/sda2 but otherwise my system works normally so far. :)
Don't listen to nay-sayers. Your fstab will work just fine and there's nothing
wrong with it.

The LABEL= sysntax has also worked for years and years now on all grub-
supported filesystems that support volume labels. I don't know where a
initrd - I have never used an initrd on Gentoo and have used that syntax since
forever.

Similar for claims of unreliability by someone else. The only cause I can
think of is using weird grub patches or some combination of insane flags.

So I don't have to have the complete path in fstab like this:

/dev/disk/by-label/boot        /boot        ext2        noatime        1 2
/dev/disk/by-label/root        /        reiserfs    defaults    0 1
/dev/disk/by-label/swap        none        swap        sw        0 0
/dev/disk/by-label/portage    /usr/portage    ext3        defaults    0 1
/dev/disk/by-label/home        /home        reiserfs    defaults    1 1

Can you post a grub.conf file that uses labels? Sort of a example to look at and go by.

Dale

:-)  :-)