On 5 Sep 2010, at 17:54, David Relson wrote:
I've got it without that, Portage 2.1.8.3.

$ grep ELOG /etc/make.conf
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="port...@hex"
$

Works fine here.

I assumed he would also have to be running a sendmail-replacement
for the example he gave to work:

echo "testing use...@mydomain.com" | \
mail -s"testing  use...@mydomain.com" use...@mydomain.com

I kinda assumed his problem was that `mail` would provide a valid
sender address, whereas the upstream ISP might reject mails from
portage with a dodgy from address.

OP here ...

Having my own domain, I run my own mailserver -- but it's not on my
gentoo development machine.  I read the emerge python code,
specifically mail.py, to find how PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI is handled.
Reading the code lead me to (finally) realize that I need to have a
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI value with two (2) fields separated by a space
character.

What version of portage, please? I certainly don't have that here, and it seems to be working.

Stroller.