On 10/09/2010 5:27 PM, Maciej Grela wrote:
2010/9/10 Jake Moe<jakesaddr...@gmail.com>:
  Hello all,

I've been thinking about creating a Gentoo USB stick for install and rescue
purposes (and, of course, just to see if I could).  I've mostly followed the
Gentoo handbook (I used a single 4GB partition for the whole system, and no
swap).  I've used genkernel for the kernel (so I can have a multi-system
capable kernel).  I've gotten GRUB installed and working.  My problem comes
in after what I believe is the init process:

Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
  Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

  * Mounting proc at /proc ...                                             [
ok ]
  * Mounting sysfs at /sys ...                                             [
ok ]
  * Mounting /dev ...                                                      [
ok ]
  * Starting udevd ...                                                     [
ok ]
  * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ...              [
ok ]
  * Waiting for uevents to be processed ...                                [
ok ]
  * Mounting devpts at /dev/pts ...                                        [
ok ]
  * Checking root filesystem ...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193<device>

  * Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(                                        [
!! ]
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1.  However, mount shows
/dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a sda1 folder
in that as well.  It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but then lost it
somehow.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Have you seen http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ? It's based on
Gentoo, you could check what they did to boot from a usb stick.

Br,
Maciej Grela

Excellent, thanks for that, I hadn't found it in my previous searches. I'll have a look there.

Jake Moe