On Monday 13 September 2010 21:00:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 09/13/2010 09:45 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > I wouldn't expect people to run a Gentoo system with all packages on
> > unstable. I tend to only select specific packages as unstable when I
> > really need that version.
>
> Usually the best "stability" is reached by running either full stable or
> full testing (aka "unstable").  Mixing usually makes things worse.  I
> used to run a mixed system, but at some point it was clear to me that
> this fscks things up quite often due to package versions whether ~arch
> packages breaking with arch ones.

This is true, but not all packages I want are in stable, this forces me to
unmask these.
I also don't always want to wait for packages to become stable.

What I currently have in "/etc/portage/package.keywords is:
=games-strategy/x2-1.4.05 ~amd64
=games-strategy/x3-2.5.01 ~amd64
=app-emulation/virtualbox-bin-3.2.8 ~amd64
=app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-3.2.8 ~amd64

These don't have a large set of additional requirements. If they did, I
wouldn't have upgraded to these. I also had "qt-creator" in there, but that
one has become stable since.

I'm still not clear how versions can be made to be marked "stable".

--
Joost