I have tried changing resources in systemsettings to akonadi directory,
instead of .kde4/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf, but still cannot see any contacts.

When entering an address in a new message To: field, the address book seems to
be used because autocompletion works.

This is happening on both an amd64 (sqlite) and a x86 box (mysql).

When I set it to use akonadi as a default resource then kmail freezes up
within 5 minutes.  I assume that this is related to akonadi trying to autosave
any changes (as per the 'Tune' tab of the akonadi resource settings).

Can you see your contacts in kaddressbook?

Any ideas how I could fix it?
--
Regards,
Mick