Yohan Pereira wrote:
On Saturday 25 September 2010 8:33:09 am Dale wrote:
Well, I don't really know what it is using.  I just set up the menu item
to run the program as root.
i assume you mean you setup a menuitem to run a paticular application as root
like say to run konsole/konqueror as root.

I don't know if it uses su -, kdesu, sudo
if its a menu item then it has to use kdesu, because sudo and su both take the
password from teh std input (you wont get a gui prompt to enter the password),
and nothing will happen. all you have to do is fire up the menu editor, go to
your menu entry and make sure the command field looks like this "kdesu
konsole", if it does look like that , try running kdesu from a konsole session
and see what it prints out (it may not be installed for starters).

You are assuming correctly above. The way I have always had to set this up is like this. Set up the menu item like I would with any other user. In the Advanced tab, I set it to run as user root. When I then select to run the item from the menu, a little GUI window will pop up and ask me for the root password. This has worked in KDE3 for ages and I don't recall having any trouble with it all. KDE4 has been changing things around and I have had to rework things a couple times as KDE4 seems to keep changing the way things work.

I suspect you may be right, that it uses kdesu. Just to make sure it wasn't a wrong version installed, this is what I have:

r...@smoker / # equery list -p kdesu
 * Searching for kdesu ...
[-P-] [  ] kde-base/kdesu-4.4.5:4.4
[IP-] [  ] kde-base/kdesu-4.5.1:4.5
r...@smoker / #

So, I do have the latest at least. I'll try to re-emerge it although I think I already did that once. I know I tried re-emerging some other packages trying to get this to work again.

What gets me, I have Dolphin set up the same way, it works just fine. I can also run Konqueror from a root Konsole and it works fine there. It just doesn't like the menu item for some reason. I suspect it doesn't like kdesu for some reason. Maybe it's a bug and will be fixed or it may be a new "feature". Who knows.

Dale

:-)  :-)