Hello,

first: where should I ask the following question?

We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels as Dom0 and DomU.
Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
* HP Proliant DL380 G4
* HP Proliant DL380 G6

Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).

I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described here:
  http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5

Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.

I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI disks with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives (/dev/cciss/...), copy a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem and then use the grub shell make it bootable.

Attached is a screen shot with the error message.

Best regards Olaf