Alex Schuster wrote:
Dale writes:

So, same card as a year or so ago and same everything else but now I
get only about 1/10th the frame rate.  What gives?  Is this a driver
issue?
Is OpenGL working at all? Does glxinfo produce lots of output, with
'direct rendering: Yes' near the top? If not, your're using software
rendering, all is done by the CPU, not the GPU.

        Wonko

That's what I am thinking. I notice here lately that my CPU is being used a LOT more then it used to when playing videos or something. I recently changed kernels and nvidia drivers, the kernel upgrade forced me to upgrade nvidia. It appears to have gotten worse with each upgrade. This is what I got from these two commands:

r...@smoker / # eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   nvidia *
  [2]   xorg-x11

r...@smoker / # glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
    GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_present_video
GLX version: 1.3
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.25
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

<<SNIPPED??

It says direct rendering is working but it sure doesn't act like it. I watched a video a bit ago and although it was a small thing, only took about 20% of my screen, it used just about all the CPU power. It didn't do that a few months or so ago. It used to take only 25% or so to do a full screen video. This is really weird.

I did take the side off my case a hour or so ago. I took my air tank and blew it out pretty good. I also checked to make sure the fan was turning on the video card chip. It was spinning fine and I could feel a little bit of air. It's a small fan so I wasn't expecting a tornado or anything. Anyway, after blowing it out AND generating a xorg-conf with nvidia's program, I get this:

r...@smoker / # glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
2932 frames in 5.0 seconds = 586.390 FPS
1260 frames in 5.7 seconds = 222.873 FPS
2 frames in 7.6 seconds =  0.263 FPS
2 frames in 8.0 seconds =  0.249 FPS
2 frames in 7.6 seconds =  0.264 FPS
2 frames in 7.7 seconds =  0.259 FPS
XIO:  fatal IO error 22 (Invalid argument) on X server ":0.0"
      after 58 requests (58 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
r...@smoker / #

Well, if it wasn't bad enough before, it is really bad now. The first couple were when the window was really small. I adjusted it to full screen which is where the 0.2 FPS comes in. That used to be about 30 or so a while back.

This is with the nvidia generated xorg.conf file. I'm going back to my hand made one. It seems to be a little better.

Any ideas as to why everything says it is working but it isn't?

Dale

:-)  :-)