Apparently, though unproven, at 14:32 on Monday 01 November 2010, alex did
opine thusly:

> Am 01.11.2010 13:09, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:00 on Monday 01 November 2010, alex
> > did
> >
> > opine thusly:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i need win32codes to play some Videos and i try it now for some days.
> >> I installed the codes already but vlc neither mpalyer does use them. I
> >> can't get them to use it with, the usefalg always with (-win32codecs).
> >> No use with flagedit or /etc/portage/package.use, /etc/make.conf ....
> >> I've read about some issue with 64 bit System, so maybe someone has an
> >> idea?
> >>
> >> Greeting from Germany Alex
> >
> > You do not need that package at all.
> >
> > Proper linux code now exists for everything, you do not have to use that
> > crazy system of wrapping Windows binaries anymore.
> >
> > Forget you ever heard of win32codecs.
>
> But how i can run win MMS2 codecs on Linux or with vlc?

You are mostly SOL with that one. Here's some options, all involve lots of
work:

Run 32bit mplayer with win32codecs in a 32bit chroot
Run a prebuilt 32bit mplayer than you download from any suitable repo
Run a 32bit smplayer WINDOWS build in wine
Run some Windows player in a virtual machine
Dual boot

My personal favourite is to just simply realize that I don't actually HAVE to
watch the clip. No piece of video is THAT important (unlike say, oxygen).

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com