On Tuesday 02 November 2010, Gary Golden wrote:
> Hi, list.
> I keep changes of my /etc with git and I would like to include
> /var/lib/portage/world file into the repository.
>
> Can I safely do:
>
> mv /var/lib/portage/world /etc/portage
> ln -s /etc/portage /var/lib/portage/world
>
> Will portage update handle it properly?
> Using hardlinks seems to be more cleaner way, but for some reason I
> don't want to use it for this task.
>
> Have a nice day! ;)

Actually it's much easier, I have two machines, both with /etc/world.
And it's a exact copy of /var/lib/portage/world, something in my
computers is doing this, and it isn't a (soft|hard)link :)

sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc67

HTH
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.35-gentoo-r11, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 29
20:33:46 CEST 2010