dhk <dhk...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 11/04/2010 02:12 PM, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> When I get a kernel panic, it's usually because I'm pointing to the
> >> wrong partition or I forgot to include the file system that the root
> >> partition uses.  Since the one you made and the genkernel match up, I
> >> would check to make sure you included the correct file system and it
> >> is BUILT IN not a module.
> >>
> >> Hope that helps or someone else comes up with another idea.
> > He does not have the ramdisk or initrd in his manual ones.  That would
> > do it right there.  Be sure to generate the ramdisk as well.
> >

> The documentation doesn't say to use ramdisk or initrd for a manual
> kernel, only the genkernel.
But if the configs are the same, you need to do the same things, so
generate your ramdisk and see what happens.  I do this all the time,
just use genkernel to generate the ramdisk and do all other things
manually.  I just make oldconfig when I upgrade and do make Bzimage and
make modules and make modules_install and copy the kernel to the right
place and update my lilo.conf.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici