On Thursday 04 November 2010 15:36:37 you wrote:
> On 4 November 2010 09:24, YoYo Siska <y...@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:

> > Just to make it a bit more clear:
> > xrandr is used to setup the resolution and position of the monitors
> > (you can make them clone each other, overlap, be alongside / above /
> > below the other...)
> >
> > How the windows / panels behave depends on your windows manager/desktop
> > environment (or on the panels themselves). X server provides them with
> > enough information about the layout of the monitors, and they have to
> > use it. So it depends on which DE or window manager you use...
> >
> > In kde3,  there was a configuration option for kwin, whether windows
> > should be maximized across all screens  or on single screen...
> > I can't find it in kde4 settings right now, but I have only single head
> > card here and I guess it would be under "Multiple Monitors" option in
> > settings, which just says "You don't appear to have this configuration"
> > for me ;)
> >
> > Plasma in kde4 manages things per monitor, so panels should be only
> > on one monitor (and you can't get them across multiple monitors, you
> > have to have a separate panel on each)...
> >
> > Recent versions of fluxbox allow you to have the toolbar on a certain
> > monitor (head) or across all heads... Don't know how it is when
> > maximizing windows (some time ago I used to patch it to make it an
> > option, didn't play with it lately...)
> >
> > I can't say anything for gnome or other DEs/WMs...
>
> Thank you all for your responses!
>
> The box in question is running KDE.
>
> The first thing I tried was to go into Systemsettings and play with
> Display settings in there.  Nothing I tried would take.  Only xranrd
> on the CLI brought some results.  Even so, rebooting means that I have
> to rerun the stanza to make the new large monitor on the DVI port
> auto-adjust.  It seems that the card sees the VGA as the primary
> monitor and the DVI as the secondary monitor, when I really want them
> the other way around.
>
> Any way, I'll have another go at the Display settings in the KDE
> Systemsettings and see if I am missing something in there.

OK, I had some more time to look at this.  As I said above, systemsettings
changes won't take.  Having set the DVI at 1920x1080(auto) and to be on the
right of VGA-0, I click on Apply and the DVI on the right of VGA reverts to
'Clone of' and the size stays the same as the VGA (1280x1024).

Then I ran xrandr again as Florian suggested and this is what it shows:

$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto  <--this gives 1920x1080
$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of-VGA-0 --verbose
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1920x1920 (desired size 3200x1080)

As a result it does not place the DVI on the right of the VGA driven monitor.
Can you please explain this error to me - why does it complain?
--
Regards,
Mick