I usually do one of two things. Depending on the situation.

If both NICs are from the same vendor I install mii-tool and only plug in
one port. mii-tool will show link state. This when it negotiates it will
show output like:

eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
eth1: no link

If the NICs are from different vendors I usally just do a ifconfig and grab
the MAC addresses of the cards. Then I Google for a mac lookup tool. The
first 6 digits of a MAC are vendor specific.

Hope this helps!

Colt