On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Willie Wong <ww...@math.princeton.edu>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 09:57:42PM -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > Some time ago, it appears, postfix stopped working for me.  I am no
> longer
> > able
> > to use it to send mail (usually to my ISP, where it gets routed).
> >

> Do you actually need a full blown mail server? If you just relay your
> mail to your ISP, then you may be able to simplify your life using
> something like nbsmtp.
>
> I used to take mail locally, via sendmail, since I stopped using uucp
around 1987.  When I found out about postfix, it
was good riddance to those re-write rules.  Then I simplified by sending it
all to the ISP so I now have just 3 mail spools:
1) gmail for all my mailing lists because they'll let me spool forever it
seems -- my quota is over 7GB and
I'm using maybe 30% after about 8 years.  This is stuff were privacy doesn't
matter to me.
2) My ISP, because it's more reliable than I can do at home.
3) Work, which I can't avoid.

At home I stuck to Postfix because until now it never gave me a lick of
trouble.  I'm pretty old and no longer
get much joy out of learning yet another tool for its own sake.  It's gotta
be LOTS better than what I have.  In the
last year I've only taken on m4, Fireworks and Dreamweaver.  There are good
enough reasons for each.

If I were a few decades younger, this would have been good advice, so thanks
for the tip.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD