Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 19:43 on Monday 15 November 2010, Mike
Edenfield did opine thusly:

On 11/15/2010 11:05 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
It's LGPL licensed. The GUI is a bit ugly but it has a lot of
functionality and can handle cases in which the Windows defragger
doesn't work. That mostly happens when the disk is nearly full.
Since we're *way* off topic as it is:

mydefrag isn't LGPL, just freeware, but I did notice this on the
jkdefrag site:

"The executables are released under the GNU General Public License, and
the sources are released under the GNU Lesser General Public License."

Is that even possible?
It's possible, as someone did it ... :-)

It's not valid though, and it's nonsensical. If they give you binaries per
GPL, then they must make the sources available. They already make the sources
available per LGPL, so now they are dual-licensed. If you choose to accept
them under GPL, then you may only compile and redistribute them under GPL. If
you choose to accept them under LGPL, compile them and redistribute them, then
other non-GPL software can link to them per the terms of the LGPL.

So which is it? GPL? LGPL? Both?

Sounds like someone on that project has a gigantic misunderstanding on how the
licenses work.

OK. I took a nap and it seems everyone on the list wanted to chime in. lol This is one reason I posted here. I knew I would get at least a few replies. Just picking one to reply to so not pointing at Alan here.

First, the drive is not full. It has about 30% or so left. I think the virus broke something and I don't have the OS media to reinstall. If I had my way, that puter would have Linux and a root password that only I know.

Second, it has not been kept up to date for sure. They are little kids, oldest is getting about old enough to understand how to maintain things tho.

Third, I'm not going to go to to much trouble with this thing and trying to get it back to shiny new. If it doesn't work to their liking, I'll tell them to get a CD/DVD with the install on it or I can put Linux on it for free. Let them decide.

One post mentioned that this needs to be reinstalled, I AGREE. If I had the CD/DVD to install from, I would do just that. Heck, I would have done that right after I saw AVG being so out of date. I wouldn't have even turned the thing off. I would have put in the CD, pulled the plug and booted the CD and reinstalled.

The program mydefragger seemed to work pretty well. It is done and I am running it again just to be sure. I'll see if it reboots any faster now. That should tell me if it helped any at all. I don't think it could hurt for sure.

Thanks for the replies. Going to download one of those defraggers that someone mentioned and save it for a rainy day.

Dale

:-)  :-)