Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:29:21 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>>   3.  Other files proved missing as well
>>
>> I went to another machine which is multilib and copied the libssl from
>> the lib32 directory.  Then it asked for libcrypto so I copied that
>> now it asks for libkrb5.so.3.  After a few more iterations, I succeeded!
>>
>> But clearly something is wrong.
>>
>> It is NO problem for me to take this machine out of service for a few
>> days and run an emerge -e world.  Are there risks in this?
>> Is there a better idea?
>
> If files are disappearing, I'd say fsck is needed more that emerge.

Thanks.

I suspected emerge since all the files seemed to be related to openssl and
everything else was working.  But, as usual, you are doubtless right.

All files except root checked fine.

I used to do fsck on root via

mount -o remount,ro /dev/sdaX
e2fsck -f /dev/sdaX

But now the mount replies that / is busy.

I read the e2fsck man page.  It says using -n is safe on a mounted file
system unless fsck itself tells you not to but you can't trust the
output.

The output was a few errors reported, but of course not fixed.

Then I read the source and found /forcefsck

This worked fine and the next reboot checked all filesystems and
reported no errors.

Should I now run emerge -e world?  If so, I suppose I should stop cron
from running an emerge --sync during the night.

thanks again,
allan