Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Friday 26 November 2010, Dale wrote:
I'm planning to build a new rig.  My current rig is about 7 or 8 years
old now and it needs to be updated.  Current rig is AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs
of ram and a Abit NF7 v2.0 mobo.  Couple hard drives too.

New build #1 with links and all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black case.  I included this
because of the rather LARGE CPU heatsink that is going to be listed
later.  I did a google image search and saw it in other rigs so it
should fit in there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265

MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X motherboard.  It's not the latest
but it is a OK mobo.
seriously? No. Get an AM3 board.

Yea, I'm not to familiar with MSI anyway. I have worked with a Gigabyte before and it was nice. I liked the BIOS too. Not to mention this seems to be a older board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125296

GIGABYTE GV-N210OC-512I GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0
x16 HDCP video card.  I don't do gaming.  Actually, my old FX-5200 does
pretty well but won't fit in the new mobo.  I really don't need a super
fast video card here.
emm, no. You might not need a fast card, but with a 210 you could also use no
card at all.

Going to work on this some more. Seriously tho, my old FX-5200 works pretty good here. It is really old and outdated. lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153116

Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V Power supply.  I
like this brand and would like to stay with this but if the price is
right, I could be tempted to change my mind.  My biggest question on
this, can this handle this mobo, CPU, video card and 3 to 4 drives
including a DVD burner?
wtf?
I have a phenom II 955, 8gb ddr3. 7drives and a 5770 - and my 450(!) W BeQuiet
doesn't even break a sweat. Big PSU  = a lot of wasted money. Don't follow
that stupid trend.

I have a 550w power supply in my current rig. I figured some of the basics, CPU is 125W and I do run folding which makes it work hard, the video card which I figure is about 50 or so max. A little here and there for the drives, fans and other stuff I have not even thought of yet. I read somewhere a while back that the start up is the hardest on a power supply. I just added a little to what I got and figure that should cover any extra for the CPU, video cards and other goodies. According to the ole power meter, my current rig pulls 280 watts. That's the A/C measurement but given efficiency and all that would be 250 or maybe a little less. Add in that when I was digging around, this was a good deal. Free shipping and on sale I think. May have changed since then tho.

Of course, I am sure 1000w would be overkill.  lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103644

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB
L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor.  From the searches I did,
this should fit this mobo fine.  Agree?
yeah

Wish I could afford the 6 core one tho.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104073

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop
Memory.  I have used this brand before with not one problem.  Like
before, if the price is right, I could change this.
No, no, no and no.
DDR2? No. 4gb? No. You can get 2x4gb ddr3 for very low prices. Oh - and please
don't buy Kingston. Kingston = overpriced crap.

The reason I picked Kingston is that that is what I have always used. So far, knock on wood, no failures. It's the only brand I have any experience with tho I have heard Crucial is good but also pricey at times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118056

ZALMAN CNPS10X FLEX CPU Cooler.  This thing got good reviews and it is
not priced to high.  According to the searches I have done this will fit
the mobo/CPU and should fit in the case.  Any disagreements on this?

just saying, I have a scythe shuriken. A very small cooler:
CPU FAN Speed:       737 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CPU Temperature:     +40.0°C  (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
MB Temperature:      +39.0°C  (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)

and for the first couple of minutes the fan doesn't even run.

Yea, it is small. Keep in mind, I run folding which runs the CPU at 100% and it runs for weeks with no break. On this cycle, folding has been up the last 19 days which is when I rebooted last. If I don't have a good cooler, folding will find out pretty soon. I usually do a bit of overkill here. My little AMD 2500+ has a Volcano 12+ on it. Right now as I type, it is 86F or 30C. Also, I plan to run the fans with a temp control. I may replace the fan with ThermalTake like I have now. I like the temp control setup I have. As the CPU heats up, it just turns faster.

This is build #2:

I'll be using the same case, power supply, video card etc so I won't
list them all twice.  Just listing the things that have to be changed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.  The only
thing I don't like about this is that it doesn't have a com port for my
UPS.  I guess a adapter will be found somewhere.

Gigabyte is nice, usb3 is nice, ddr3 is nice. But 770? SB710? Well, not as bad
as 700... but the 850 is out...

I usually don't get the latest because of the price. I'm on fixed income and it has taken me a while to save up what I got now. I usually get something that has been out for a while, with a few bug fixes too, and save a little bit of money that way. Plus, I look at what ports I use and such as well. I do wish it had at least one com port for my UPS. I'm not sure how to get it working with the USB adapter thingy. That may be another thread and/or some googling.

Thanks for the info.  Got to go dig a bit more.

Dale

:-)  :-)