I thought Gentoo was supposed to be bleeding edge when it came to all
things Linux.

Why would something like E17, (or any package,) still need to be applied
through an overlay after all this time instead of just being in portage?
I thought building from scratch was to be the way to put a package
together based on what you want, and what is available on your sytem.
I understand that some basic needs are required to build a package, but
again, I figured working from source would make such things so much more
flexible.

I am not trying to start any type of nasty discussion, it is just a
nagging question I have wondered about.

                        Thanks
                        Sean