Apparently, though unproven, at 23:34 on Sunday 12 December 2010, Valmor de
Almeida did opine thusly:

> On 12/12/2010 03:54 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:51 on Sunday 12 December 2010, Valmor
> > de
> >
> > Almeida did opine thusly:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to have net.wlan0 started only when the wireless card is
> >> switched on. I am using ifplugd for starting net.eth0 when an ethernet
> >> cable is plugged in. Is there a similar utility for net.wlan0? Ideally
> >> so that it is configurable in conjunction with ifplugd.
> >
> > Chuck all that net.* bullshit out the window and use wicd instead.
>
> Okay I am new to this wireless stuff. If I do
>
> -> emerge -vp wicd
>
> I get

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild  N    ] net-wireless/wireless-tools-29  USE="nls -multicall" 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] dev-python/dbus-python-0.83.0-r1  USE="-doc -examples
> -test" 483 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] dev-python/urwid-0.9.9.1  USE="-examples" 233 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] x11-misc/ktsuss-1.4  273 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] net-misc/wicd-1.7.0  USE="X gtk ncurses nls pm-utils
> (-ioctl) -libnotify" 402 kB
>
> Total: 5 packages (5 new), Size of downloads: 1,390 kB
>
> which will install wireless-tools. This does not mean I need to use it
> to configure my wireless net right?

You are going to take the entirety of net.* except net.lo as installed by
baselayout/openrc/whatever and get rid of it. That stuff never worked right
for anything except servers with fixed IPs

> I am asking this because I am using
> wpa_supplicant and in the /etc/conf.d/net config file, I can only use
> one or the other.

Discard /etc/conf.d/net

That's part of the thing you are getting rid of

> Since wicd deals with both wired and wireless, should I also get rid of
> ifplugd?

Yes.

Just following the wicd docs and it will all work just fine

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com