On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 10:23 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> uvesafb will not give you extra resolutions.  It will however allow you
>>> use non-default refresh-rates which is sometimes useful with CRT
>>> monitors.
>>>
>>> But it has a drawback too: it needs a userspace tool and resolution is
>>> switched too late during the boot process, meaning until it loads you'll
>>> be
>>> seeing the kernel boot in 80x25 mode (which in turn means no boot
>>> graphics/logo right from the start.)
>>
>> I use uvesafb and I can see Tux (eight of him) during my boot process
>> before uvesafb kicks in.
>
> I mean more something like this when I say "boot logo":
>
> http://mjanusz.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shot.png
>
> It's at least 10 years since I saw that default Tux boot thingy :-P  But
> anyway, if uvesafb hasn't kicked in yet, what on earth is drawing that Tux?

Ah-ha, I think that's bootsplash (which I'm not using).  I've only
seen it on a Live CD. :)

In my kernel config I have enabled VESA framebuffer as well as
userspace framebuffer (uvesafb), and I enabled "Bootup Logo". So maybe
what happens is that VESA framebuffer starts immediately into some
default resolution, I see eight Tuxs (Tuxes?), then shortly thereafter
the uvesafb kicks in and video mode changes to the one I specified. At
least that's how it seems to happen. I reboot so rarely that I never
gave it much thought.