Is the clock almost in sync? - if its too far out ntp will silently fail
to sync (by design - large scale time steps can be destructive for
heavily active databases for instance)

Check out the -g option to ntpd in 'man ntpd'

or 'tinker panic 0' in ntp.conf

Also, has ntp.conf specified a writable frift file in a directory that
exists?

ntp can be VERY complex when it doesnt "just work" :)

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!