Alvin A ONeal Jr wrote:

Craig,

I'm looking to use Veritas BackupEXEC 10 on several of my servers, and would like to know if anyone knows how to get a backup exec agent to work properly with gentoo. It seems a simple enough question, but I've found nothing useful through the documentation, and their support folks don't even know what Gentoo is...

I don't have experience with backup exec, but what package does it come in? You could probably just install dpkg or rpm on gentoo and issue a command to ignore dependencies when installing.

If the don't know what gentoo is (obviously they don't read eWeek or other tech publications) tell them that you're using debian or redhat. Things might be a little different, but there are plenty of people here that could help you work through them.

But I do want to ask what the purpose of using backupExec instead of an OpenSource solution? I know we have it at the school where I work for Netware, but I've always thought it was pretty wasteful to pay ($500 per seat, correct??) when you can write a cronjob that does the same thing. Put an ncurses frontend on it and it would be even moreso.

For example, take a look at this script I use:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Backup_with_cron_and_tar_%28simple%29

It's setup to work with a mountable (attachable or network) drive, but with a little modification it could work well for a tape drive too.

There are plenty of other methods as well.

I have a network with a mix of Netware, Windows and Linux and am moving to a centeralized backup system. BackupEXEC allows me to have one tape drives, and multiple USB drives to do the backups for all of the servers to. My gentoo boxen are 1U servers. The agents are ~200 each, with the actualy software costing abour 600 or so.

I currently use cron and tar for backups, but I only want to have to managed one backup system. At the moment, I'm managing 7, and its very time consuming.

As for using an RPM, I'm happy to do that if need be, but I'll have to go in search of something that tells me how to do this. I'm sure its documented somewhere

thanks