"J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 January 2011 12:07:02 Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> > > Can you actually play that wav-file? Or is it just a collection of
> > > garbage?
> > >
> > > As far as I know, CD-Paranoia access the cd-drive a bit more directly
> > > then other tools. Eg. it approaches it like a CD-ROM, rather then
> > > CD-Audio.
> >
> > You are mistaken, cdparanoia is a patch on a really outdated cdda2wav (from
> > 1997) and it is limited to the DAE quality of the kernel drivers.
>
> Ok, I stand corrected. I did, however, always have more succes ripping music
> from audio-cds with cdparanoia then with other tools I tried.

Then you did probably not recently try cdda2wav. After the development for
cdparanoia stopped in year 2000, cdda2wav integrated the important code parts
from cdparanoia into cdda2wav by creating a portable library libparanoia in
April 2002.

Since then, cdda2wav combines the best features from both commands. If you like
to tell cdda2wav to use the paranoia code, just call cdda2wav -paranoia.
Cdda2wav is able to read many CDs that cannot be read by cdparanoia at all.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)