pk <pete...@coolmail.se> wrote:

> On 2011-01-13 20:14, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>
> > They are easy to spot though as only CDs adhering to the red book standard
> > are
> > legally allowed to display the Audio-CD logo.
>
> Yeah, I read about Philips talking to the music industry about this a
> few years ago, claiming they would take them to court (or something) if
> they didn't adhere to the standard... if they wanted the audio cd logo.

There is even more: Sony sells "CDs" that claim(*) that Sony did not have the
Copyrights in the songs while making the copy.

*) Following the description for the "copy protection" bit in the red book.

>From a perspective of consumer protection, consumers could sue shops not to
>mix
non-CDs with CDs in the same rack and to clearly mark the non-CDs with
something like: "these are non-CDs, we cannot grant playability in CD players".
But unfortunately nothing happened to protect consumers.

> > For the deviations, blame the record companies who still think that people
> > are
> > willing to pay way over the odds for substandard music...
>
> Well, considering IFPI/*AA etc. behaviour I'm thinking of skipping
> buying anything at all; I can live without (use the ones that I have,
> which seems to be standard since I've been able to rip them all to my
> 'puter using cdparanoia).

You completely missunderstand the purpose and ability of cdparanoia. Cdparanoia
does not implement anything that helps you to read such non-CDs. If you could
read all your CDs so far, you either don't own such intentionally broken media
or there is a workaround in the firmware of your drive already.

cdparanoia _only_ implements strategies to work around flaky readout results.

The non-CDs have intentional deviations from the red book standard and for this
reason, there is nothing flaky on them. They produce stable deviating results
that cannot be handled by cdparanoia.

cdda2wav on the other side implements strategies to work around varios red book
deviations that help to read such non-standard media.

It is the read layer (being below the paranoia layer) that is bad inside
cdparanoia and the read layer has been significantly inreased inside cdda2wav
during the past 14 years after cdparanoia forked cdda2wav.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)