----- Original Message ----

> I have two questions:
>
>  1) Do I have to enable microcode  updates in the BIOS of my Crosshair
>     IV Formula to activate  microcodes push in the CPU by the module
>     "microcode" ? (AMD  Phenom X6 1090T)

Not sure about BIOS, but the Linux Kernel you are running will certainly need
support enabled too.

>  2) Does anyone know, what these microcodes do? They are  fixes for...
>     ...what?

The Intel and AMD processors are more abstract than physical now. With i486 and
earlier the processors were typically hard wired; hardware "bug" fixes could
not
be pushed out.
Intel's Pentium (and I don't know which AMD) started using micro-code to
program
the processor. This enabled them to push out "hardware" bug fixes for the
processors.

So what happens is the x86 instruction (e.g. mov ax, bx) gets translated to
micro-code first, then it gets processed, and the result translated back to the
expected instruction result - essentially, emulating the x86 instruction set in
the processor. That's the simple version.

So now when they discover a bug in the hardware they can push out a micro-code
update to either fix the "hardware"  (microcode) bug or work around a hardware
(physical hardware) bug.

Ben