The word "probably" implies that you have no idea what the statistics were
on getting a perfectly good core were or why they disabled entire batches of
cores based on an error from one.

You are just overdriving your point.  If he doesn't want to enable updation
of microcode, it won't hurt anything.  If it was functioning fine before, it
will also be fine without an update.  There is nothing wrong with keeping
the version of code that is stable for you.  It isn't stupid, its a good
rule of thumb.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it.