Mark Knecht wrote:
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
<SNIP>
Other than copying a file and using time to measure how long it takes,
what is the best test of a hard drive's speed?
By running a benchmark tool that does exactly this.  IOzone is a nice one:

  http://www.iozone.org

It's in portage: "app-benchmarks/iozone".
I installed it but trying to figure out how to use it.  Jeez, what a man
page.  O_O

Yeah, it's a tough one. Also, very slow, assuming I understand it
correctly. You have to use file sizes larger than the memory of the
system, so on a 24GB system it takes (literally) a day or two to run.
(Assuming I actually understood the man page!) ;-)

- Mark

I found this command and it worked pretty well. It does take a good while to run tho. It wasn't to bad on my new rig but the old rig did take a little while.

iozone -R -l 5 -u 5 -r 4k -s 100m -F /home/f1 /home/f2 /home/f3 /home/f4 /home/f5 | tee -a /tmp/iozone_results.txt &

The results were much different than what hdparm shows. It shows the 3Gbs/sec like they advertise they can do. I wonder which is more accurate? :/

Dale

:-)  :-)