On 2011-01-24 00:49, dhk wrote:

> Everything is plugged in correctly and checked many times.  As far as I
> know there aren't any sound daemons running, this is a new install, only
> a couple of weeks old.  Everything looks like it should be working, the
> only thing is I don't hear anything.  Since I hear other things I'm sure
> I'm not deaf and can rule that out.  This is a basic set up with lvm2,
> gnome, firefox, thunderbird, and openoffice.  That's about it, nothing
> fancy.

Ok, then I'm stumped... unless there's something in Gnome that's
creating a problem? I don't run Gnome (or KDE) for that reason. Did you
try a "simple" program (like ogg123, mpg123 etc.) to output sound? I've
come across sound/music programs (well, versions of them at least) that
doesn't output any sound...

Btw, have you tried a live cd (ubuntu, fedora etc.) to see if you can
get sound? If you get working sound you may be able to copy the settings
from that...

Best regards

Peter K