Stewart Taylor wrote:
Hi all

I've been trying to install Gentoo. I want to see if Gentoo is for me so I've kept it simple. My first attempt I tried a stage1 install, as this failed the second time I tried a stage3 install, if it failed less time wasted. Both times I opted for a genkernel install, everything seemed OK, no error messages and all stages completed. However both times when I get to 7.d ls /boot/kernel* /boot/initrd* I get the same result both times:
/boot/initrd*:no such file or directory
/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-genkernel-r6

Taking the entry in the grub configure example as a guide I've searched for any initrd files just in case it's somewhere else the only entries are a couple of .gz files in /usr/man/man4 nothing else.

I could use some help to sort this out as I have no idea what to do.

TIA

Stewart

With recent versions of genkernel you should do "ls /boot/kernel*
/boot/initramfs*" instead.  Note that the initramfs or initrd is not required if
your kernel has sufficient drivers built in.

Zac