Hi all,
I've got a PC that I use as a media computer, music, videos etc. I haven't updated it in ages so decided now is the time to give it a go. I issue the command, and subsequently get:

***************************

harold ~# emerge --pretend -NuD world

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy "dev-vcs/subversion[-dso,perl]".
!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-vcs/subversion-1.6.15 (Change USE: -dso)
(dependency required by "dev-vcs/git-1.7.4_rc3" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-util/pkgconfig-0.25-r2" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-lang/python-3.1.3" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "app-admin/python-updater-0.8" [installed])

***************************

Well, it's a media computer so subversion shouldn't be there - I think it's a leftover from a previous task for this machine. So I now issue the command, and once again get:

***************************

harold ~ # emerge -C subversion
 * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
 * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
 * removing packages.

--- Couldn't find 'null/subversion' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
harold ~ #

So, I'm now confused. I'm not a "Portage rocket scientist", but my reading of this is that subversion needs some flags set, but subversion isn't there!!!! Is this correct? Any ideas as to how I can get myself out of this pickle?

        Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

                Andrew