On 02/02/2011 09:15 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 00:00 on Thursday 03 February 2011, walt did
opine thusly:

As much as I like the convenience of automounting as a luser, all of
my bofh instincts cry out that lusers shouldn't be allowed to
 mount a filesystem!

This is one of those Windows/convenience versus unix/security things,
I think, but I'm just an amateur bofh.

What do you professional bofhs think?

Depends on what the machine is used for.

For a multiuser box, you probably want user to not shutdown/reboot,

Yes, even I thought of that.  As an amateur, though, I have no idea how many
multi-user machines still exist.

When I was a lad, the campus computer(s) still ran batch jobs submitted on
punch cards.  We had to wait for hours or even the next day to discover a
stupid typo.

Actually, the profs didn't use punchcards, just us peons.  The profs had
dumb terminals so they could log in to the central server -- and sit for
as long as five minutes to discover if the server had crashed, or was
just busy serving the needs of the department chairman's secretary.

Over the years, the frustrations have merely morphed, not vanished :(

be able to mount removeable media...

That was really what I was asking.  I hear horror stories about employees
plugging usb thumb drives into corporate workstations to steal files, or
maybe infecting the whole network with malware from a "lost" thumb drive
found at a bus stop or a car park.