On 12:24 Mon 07 Feb     , Stroller wrote:

> The closest Gentoo stage was i486, and on such a slow old system it would be
> nice to squeeze out any extra performance I can.

Well, what I'm currently in the process of trying to do (not because I
have an actual need for it, but rather out of experimentation) is
taking a Gentoo i486 stage3 tarball and turning it into a i586 one.

I realized that on the i686 host I am using, I can just let catalyst
loose on an official Gentoo i486 or i686 tarball and, with the
appropriate settings, have it build a new and more current tarball out
of it. Fine.

However, what certainly doesn't work is taking one of these stage3
tarballs (i486 or i686) and have catalyst build an i586 tarball out of
that. In my attemts when trying this, catalyst first compiled a new
glibc with i586, and the next thing it tried was building a new zlib
with using the i586 glibc and the still i486 gcc and other stuff,
which resulted in failure (don't have the exact error message anymore,
but it was along the lines of the linker complaining about not being
able to determine SONAME of libz.so).

So what would probably work and what I'll try in the next days is the
following: Unpack i486 tarball, chroot into it, and then manually try
to make a i586 tarball out of it. That would probably involve the
process described in the Gentoo "how to change your CHOST" document. I
guess that once I've "prepared" such an i586 stage3 manually, I can
regularely let catalyst handle updating it, just as it does fine with
the original i486 and i686 stage3's.

Again, I'm only doing this out of curiosity to see if it works and /
or what problems I encounter and to learn some stuff; I'm probably
never going to use the resulting stage3 tarball on my own machines,
as Gentoo's i486 and i686 ones suit me just fine and I'm not a big
performance tuner / tweaker. Still, if I succeed and if anyone is
interested, I could certainly make me i586 stage3 available for
download.

I've also, just for fun, looked at a i386 stage3. However, while that
would technically certainly also be possible, it seems that Gentoo's
glibc ebuild is specifically set up to bail out when building on
i386. That would probably even be fixable by not building with nptl,
but that way it would only be possible to built something that would
make problems when using the normal portage tree and coming into a
situation where it wants to build a new (nptl-enabled) glibc for the
first time, not to mention that I don't have a clue what other stuff
would break when the user tries to install it from portage on a system
that comes with a glibc I've "hacked" to come without nptl.

Greetings,
Nils

--
Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)