Phill MV schreef:
>>     You could put an entry in /etc/portage/package.mask
>>
>>     "man portage" for more info.
>>

> To my experience the package requiring it would simply not install.

No, you're right.

The solution to this specific problem (which I also have had, since I
use neither Mozilla nor Evo) is to:

1) unmerge gnome. This will not unmerge any programs (GNOME will still
work), but will remove the metapackage handle which has mozilla and evo
as dependencies (mozilla and evo will become orphaned dependencies, as
you have uninstalled the package that depends on them);

2) unmerge evo, evo dataserver (if you don't want it), epiphany (which
depends on mozilla) and mozilla itself (assuming you have nothing else
that depends on it; most mozilla-dependent individual programs, such as
the Liferea newsreader, now have the capability to depend on firefox
instead), and any other programs installed specifically by the gnome
metapackage that you may not want (sound-juicer, gstreamer, totem-- if
you still want totem, you can recompile it +xine so you can still get
rid of gstreamer if you don't like that backend);

2a) make sure that you have no "mozilla" or "eds" USE flags enabled
(afaics, eds must specifically be set as -eds in /etc/make.conf; it's
apparently a new/replacement USE flag which drags in Evo Data Server and
Mozilla, and it appears to be set by default as on for applications like
gaim and gnome-panel, which I discovered when running yesterday's emerge
-uaDtv world). If you have to change any USE flags, hold the emerge
-uaDNtv world till after the next step:

3) emerge gnome-light. This will also not emerge any packages, but will
"un-orphan" all the gnome desktop packages that are currently installed
(but were orphaned by your uninstall of the gnome metapackage);

4) run emerge -uaDtNv world if you changed any USE flags in step 2a (or
even if you didn't, just to be safe).

This should enable you to update GNOME normally, without having to worry
about evo and/or Mozilla being dragged in every time you try.

Hope this helps.

Holly