On Tuesday 01 March 2011 15:23:38 James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was not certain that this posting is OT, so
> I labeled it that way, to keep everyone
> happy by default. I've been scrounging
> newegg to build a fast (AMD_ATI) workstation
> that is also cost effect (much thanks to Dale).
>
> I'm a bit obsessive, so be forewarned.
>
> ISSUE:
> Ati video (mux/mix)ing video cards:
>
> Crossfire is but one ati video technology
> that allows a mobo to mix(use) multiple
> video processors (GPUs) on the same mobo.
>
> I thought I had found my mobo:
> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516#ov
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435
>

> This snippet gives me pause:
>
> ATI Hybrid Graphics is a technology umbrella brand encompassing several
> technologies, such as ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™, ATI SurroundView™, ATI
> PowerPlay™, etc. that allow both an AMD integrated graphics processor and a
> discrete graphics processor to work co-operatively on an AMD based system
> to provide enhanced gaming performance, productivity and platform
> efficiency to the mainstream PC.
> * Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified DX11 VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon
> HD 5450, etc.), detail information please refer to AMD website.
>

> But I want to use this fanless video card:
> SAPPHIRE Ultimate 100289UL Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102902
>
> Questions:
>
> So will the onboard  ATI 4290 work with the 5670,
> under Gentoo?

you can probably use both - just not in cf-x mode. Because it wouldn't make
sense.

usb3 will work 3x charge won't. All those nifty tools won't work. The bios fan
control is ok - could be better. It likes to err on the higher rpm side which
means that the fans turn quicker than with fancontrol - or Asus boards.
On the other hand, GB boards do work unlike Asus.