On Friday 05 August 2005 14.37, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Dan Johansson schreef:
> Not without knowing at what point the boot fails.
>
> What is the error you're getting, and at what point after selecting the
> Gentoo entry?
root (hd1,2)
        Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.6.12-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 acpi=off
        [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1200, size=0x165a46]
(and here it hangs...., no more activity)

> Secondly, you have only one separate boot partition? Meaning that the
> SuSE /boot folder is on the SuSE partition?
For the Gentoo installation /boot is on it's own partition, for the SuSE /boot
is on the / partition.

> That might be your problem-- since that would mean that you've got
> possibly two installs of GRUB (one in the SuSE /boot folder and one in
> the Gentoo /boot partition).
>
> So you've got to wonder which one is running. At least I did.
Yes there are two installs of GRUB but only the Gentoo one is used. I can see
that on the release numbers (Gentoo 0.96, SuSE 0.93) and that the right
grub.conf (menu.lst) is shown when I boot (Only the Gentoo one has entries
for Gentoo).

> I also dual-boot SuSE and Gentoo (SuSE is my fallback in case I break
> Gentoo so badly that I need to use something else to fix it), and what I
> did (since I 'really' use the Gentoo GRUB, and the Gentoo /boot
> partition) was to copy the SuSE kernel (and System Map, and config) to
> my Gentoo /boot folder.
>
> Perhaps you need to do that in reverse (copy the compiled kernel and
> related files to your SuSE /boot folder).
I don't think this should be necessary as GRUB do find the file containing the
kernel.

I've also tried the doscsi boot option as suggested in an other reply but this
did not help.

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!