On 22/03/11 19:22, kashani wrote:
> On 3/22/2011 1:13 AM, Mr. Jarry wrote:
>> Thanks for replies. As I had expected, they brought even more
>> uncertainty then I had before... :-)
>>
>> ext3/4:
>> I excluded them because as I understand, they do not support
>> snapshots (only with lvm, which I do not use, and I've hreard
>> snapshots in lvm are not very effective, or something like that).
>> Next minus-point, I tried resizing of ext3/lvm once in the past
>> and remember it was a real pain in a**...
>
>     Any Mysql db smaller than 200GB is being backed up by a combination
> of LVM/Ext3 at a large Internet company with a big purple Y. It's mildly
> painful to setup, but RHEL uses LVM by default so it's just a matter of
> resizing to get the partitions you need. Once that's done you can kick
> off snapshots with very little effort.
>
>     Not sure where you heard it was ineffective and I'd ignore further
> information from that source.

It goes like this:

Reduce:
- make fs smaller
- make volume smaller to match fs

Enlarge
- enlarge volume
- enlarge fs to match volume

Use snapshots
- find name of snapshot
- mount it somewhere

Oh look. Two commands in each case instead of magic hand waving. And you
have to think about what you are doing with reduce/enlarge because the
order is reversed. Yes, I can truly see why the OP found a comment on
them thar intartubes that the whole thing is broken and can't work. Yes,
I can really see that now.

But considering that the thread is all about "what is the best
filesystem?", that too is to be expected. The very title belies a lack
of understanding - the best filesystem for you is the one you have
tested and found best suits your needs.

Asking "what is the best filesystem?" without also supplying an array of
metrics and actual performance data is a mind-bogglingly stupid
question, along the lines of "what is the best girlfriend/wife/SO?"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com