On 03/29/2011 09:07 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using a windows 7 virtual machine guest with a gentoo linux
>> virtualbox host for a while. I was never able to get sound working on
>> the guest but it works on the host. Recently I decided to re-emerge
>> virtualbox with the USE flag pulseaudio to try to get sound working.
>> After the emerge (list below) I also re-emerged the
>> virtualbox-modules-3.2.12; logged out and rebooted.
>>
>> Now when I try to start virtualbox, it lists the guest machine as
>> inaccessible; no other information is provided by the virtualbox startup
>> window. I would appreciate inputs on how to fix this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Valmor
>>

> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is the machine on a RAID partition or some other form of storage
> which, for whatever reason, isn't mounted? I have that problem now and
> again on my compute server. The Linux kernel guys haven't made my
> drive D & E disk interfaces 100% reliable as of yet so in my case I
> might have to reboot once or twice to get the drives recognized.
>
> 2) What kernel are you using. I saw a few messages this week on
> Virtualbox problems when running the 2.6.38 series kernel. I'm running
> 2.6.38 and haven't seen them myself though.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

I am running VB on a gentoo laptop; everything is mounted. I have not
had any problems for a long time. I sync'ed portage a couple of weeks
ago and the VB worked with my virtual win7 machine without problems.

I am using 2.6.36-gentoo-r5. I have been searching the web and the VB
forum pages but no luck yet. In the meantime I re-emerged VB without the
pulseaudio USE flag and copied a working backup of .VirtualBox/ to my
home directory; still get the same message (inaccessible). I will try an
older backup later.

Thanks,

--
Valmor

->  emerge --info
Portage 2.1.9.42 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.4.5, glibc-2.11.3-r0,
2.6.36-gentoo-r5 x86_64)
System uname:
Linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_L_640_@_2.13GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 05:15:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     4.1_p9
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11-r3
dev-lang/python:     2.6.6-r1, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake:      2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.14-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    2.4
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:       4.4.5
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool:   2.2.10
sys-devel/make:      3.81-r2
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.36.1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"