On Monday 21 March 2011 11:44:47 I wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2011 10:40:52 I wrote:
> > Have I missed something in the setup?
>
> I had. I'd missed "--config-root=/target" to go with "--root=target".

I'm now finding one problem that threatens to invalidate the whole idea. Today
returned after a few days away and ran an update, after mounting the Atom's
file
systems to /mnt/atom/target on the i5 and chrooting into /mnt/atom.

12 packages needed to be updated; four of those were installed to the chroot
and
the other eight to the target. They should all have gone to the target.

Has anyone here tried working this way? I can't tell whether the problem is
woolly thinking on my part or problems in portage. I did think portage had all
the tools it needs to maintain another system mounted on a target directory
under the file-system root.

--
Rgds
Peter