I'm the network manager in my school. I set up a Gentoo box using VirtualBox
with 128M of RAM, to serve as the squid reverse proxy server and dns server
in my local campus network.
And it turns out:
{{{
gentoo-vm squid # uptime
 22:49:48 up 7 days, 10:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.33, 0.45
gentoo-vm squid # free -m
Mem:           118        114          4          0         60         28
-/+ buffers/cache:         25         93
Swap:          512          7        505
}}}

If your demand is not critical, Gentoo can be quite lightweight :)

--
Best Regards,
Einux