On 18 December 2010 10:46, Gary Golden <m...@garygolden.me> wrote:

> I'm not sure about Fedora, but since /dev/ttyUSB* doesn't exist then
> option driver isn't loaded. I have a ZTE device and did make it work
> with this driver.
>
> Try lsmod | grep option to make sure.
>
> It's there:
>
> Device Drivers
>  -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y])│
>    -> USB Serial Converter support (USB_SERIAL [=m]
>
> --
>
> Gary Golden
>
> On 12/18/2010 08:10 PM, Carlos Sura wrote:
> >
> > On 17 December 2010 10:54, Gary Golden <m...@garygolden.me
> > <mailto:m...@garygolden.me>> wrote:
> >
> >     Try option kernel driver.
> >     Can you see it with lsusb?
> >     Is there any /dev/ttyUSB* ?
> >
> >     ---
> >
> >     Gary Golden
> >
> >     On 12/14/2010 11:03 PM, Carlos Sura wrote:
> >     > Hello mates,
> >     >
> >     > I'm on a Gentoo Box (my laptop) and I have a usb modem (ZTE
> >     MF180), but
> >     > it just don't work with my Gentoo Box, I've been searching in
> >     Google and
> >     > I found this: http://christian.amsuess.com/tutorials/zte_mf180/
> >     >
> >     > I tried, but, I ejected my cdrom and even my usb modem (eject
> >     /dev/sr1)
> >     > and none of this worked for me.
> >     >
> >     > Does anyone have this Modem working on Gentoo Linux? if so, please
> let
> >     > me know how!
> >     >
> >     > However, I tried this modem with a livecd (Fedora) and it worked
> with
> >     > the networkmanager, easy as pie!!... Is there any way to get that
> >     config
> >     > (or drivers) to make it work in my gentoo box?
> >     >
> >     > Regards,
> >     > Carlos Sura.
> >     >
> >     > --
> >     > Carlos Sura.-
> >     >

> > Hello Gary Golden,
> >
> > Thank you for answer me.
> >
> > Yes I can see it with: *lusb *and no there is nothing in*/dev/ttyUSB**
> > *
> > *
> > The link above explains how to make it works, but I've been following
> > those instructions and isn't working for me. Do I need to install
> > *usbswitchmode*? by the way: Is there anyway to know what drivers and
> > configuration is using Fedora 14, to make it easier and just take it
> > from Fedora 14 and use it in my Gentoo ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Carlos Sura.-

Hi, I've already found a way to make it work.

Here:
We need to configure the kernel of our gentoo b0x, we give support to ip and
ppp

Networking --->
Networking options --->
<*> Unix domain sockets[*] TCP/IP networking
Device Drivers --->
Network device support --->[*] Network device support
<*> PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
<*> PPP support for async serial ports
<*> PPP support for sync tty ports
<*> PPP Deflate compression
<*> PPP BSD-Compress compression

then we make active:
Device Drivers --->
SCSI device support --->
<*> SCSI CDROM support
USB support --->
<*> Support for Host-side USB
<*> UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
<*> USB Mass Storage support
USB Serial Converter support --->
<*> USB Serial Converter support
<*> USB driver for GSM and CDMA modems

finally we compile our kernel and reboot the system, and then we add our
modem with our Network Manager (gnome) and it will work fine

By the way, after reboot, as root : eject /dev/sr0 (to make it work)

Regards

--
Carlos Sura.-