Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 12:38:21 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

I cheated and just shared /usrportage, distfiles and all.  I wasn't
to clear on what I was doing in my reply up there.
Even $PKGDIR? That's not a good idea unless you have identical
hardware and USE flags.
But didn't you say the other day that you do nfs-mount the target's
$PKGDIR on the host?
Yes, but a separate PGKDIR for each host. I don't just export $PORTDIR
and leave PKGDIR in there.

If I recall correctly, you can just change the PKGDIR setting in make.conf to another location and then share /usr/portage the way I used to. I was wanting to hit the tab key to let it fill in portage. lol I'm used to tab completion but it don't work in emails. ;-)

Since http-replicator and rsync can be used and is so easy to set up, I would just use that if possible. There may be exceptions to that tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)