On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quick question about LVM.  I have a 750Gb drive that has miscellaneous
> stuff on it.  Stuff likes videos, music, pictures, ISO files and a few other
> things.  It's not full yet but it is working on it.  I have my OS on sda.
>  The large drive is on sdc.  If I buy another drive it should be sdd.  I
> think this is possible from what I have read but want to make sure.  Could I
> put sdc and sdd on LVM but the OS remain as it is with LVM not involved at
> all?  Basically, my OS stays just like it is and is not touched my LVM at
> all but the two larger drives are managed by LVM.
>
> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS on.
>  Just my personal opinion on LVM.
>
> If there is a better solution to link two large drives, I'm open to those
> ideas as well.  LVM is all I can think of is why I mention it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I know I'm late to the game with a reply, but a couple of months ago, I
setup a data box running Gentoo in the following configuration:

OS drive:  250 GB PATA LVM2
data drives:  2 x WD Caviar Black 3 TB, raid1, LVM2

Had to partition those drives using parted, though.

If that setup works fine -- and it does -- you'll have no issues.