On 04/10/2011 03:50:59 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Peter Humphrey
> <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> I read about again and again is a RAID user who loses 1 drive and
> then, while in the process of fixing the RAID, loses a second drive.
> Most of us (myself included) buy identical drives all at the same
> time
> from the same vendor. This means all the drives were likely from the
> same manufacturing batch and, if they are drives that will fail at
> all
> then the group will likely experience multiple drive failures. The

Life time is always a statistical statement and therefore I consider it
very unlikely that two or more of them fail at the same time - perhaps
with one (big) exception. A given brand/model might be very sensitive
to power failures or excess voltages, and in that case many of them
could fail after a power failure - or excess voltage.

Since my data is not rapidly changing, I backup my data several times a
day onto a spare disk which I spin down in between (using hdparm).
At least I hope to increase the life time of that backup disk this way.

Helmut.