On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:

> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> After a few weeks of effort, I've just gone live with my very own Gentoo
> system.  :-)
>
> The last stage was copying most of my files over from my old box, which
> involved a significant degree of screwing the disk drives.
>
> It is such a relief to say goodbye to my ancient Debian system, which no
> longer had a functioning package system.  Also, my ten year old hardware
> was feeling ever more underpowered as time went by.
>
> Installing and configuring Gentoo was significantly easier than Debian,
> even though it took about the same amount of time.  The approach "insert
> the DVD, press the button, and everything will work OK" is fine, until
> something _doesn't_ work OK; then you've got several hours (or days) of
> tedious searching for the answer.  By contrast, with Gentoo's 41 pages
> of detailed instructions, you really can't go far wrong.  And at the end
> of it, there's further detailed documentation to get X and window
> manager etc. set up.
>
> I think there's really only two ways to install Linux: you either go the
> Ubuntu route, where everything's done for you and you accept somebody
> else's defaults, or you go with Gentoo, where you do everything
> yourself.  I think anything in the middle, like Debian, just leads to
> confusion and uncertainty.  I don't know where Fedora and SuSE fit into
> all this.
>
> Anyhow, I'm now up and running, with some installation and config still
> to do: things like how to get British English and German keyboard
> layouts in XFCE, how to make it's terminal have a black background and
> things like that.  I also need to find a decent PDF viewer, and a decent
> jpeg viewer.
>
> So, thanks for all the help, everybody!
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Gentoo has it's places, but at the end of the day, I just want my desktop
system to work with little effort on my part.  And be consistent.  Ubuntu
gives me that on a desktop -- well, it did, until they decided to switch to
Unity.  But that's another topic...

For everything else (re: servers), there's Gentoo :)

I run a Gentoo VPS for a website.  I love the flexibility of Gentoo, the
speed, the nothingness you start with and have to mold it together like you
would an artist with a block of clay.