Dan Cowsill writes:

> I've been having a strange issue every so often.  I'll do a world update
> (emerge -uDNav, etc) and that will proceed nicely, installing new
> packages and suchlike.  I'll then do a little bit of the old emerge -pcv
> to check for dangling packages and I will get the following:
>
> !!! You have no world file.
> !!! Proceeding is likely to break your installation.
>
> Portage will then politely inform me that it needs to remove 190 packages
> and I thank FSM I added -p.
>
> So!  Googling that little tidbit produced nothing meaningful.  What's the
> story?  Gremlins?

Stupid question maybe, but does /var/lib/portage/world exist? If not, emerge
-uDNav world would not complain and do a system update only.
Does eix -Iu show lots of packages you thought a wold update should have
updated?
In case you lost the file, the regenworld script is supposed to restore it.
But I don't know how well this works.

        Wonko