On 4/21/2011 9:54 PM, Hans de Graaff wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:33:05 -0700, kashani wrote:

Install RVM, make it part of your shell, then install the ruby and gems
of your choice. That way you leave the system Ruby alone and can develop
with the versions you want. You can even do multiple versions of ruby
and various gems for working on many different projects at once.

Please note that Gentoo also supports multiple ruby implementations out
of the box (ruby 1.8, ruby enterprise edition, jruby currently stable,
ruby 1.9 unfortunately still masked, rubinius forthcoming).

It's not about which ruby you're installing on the system, really anything other than 1.8.7 as system Ruby is a pain in the ass at this point.

kashani@gentoo64 ~ $ rvm list
rvm rubies

   rbx-head [ ]
   ree-1.8.7-2011.03 [ x86_64 ]
   ruby-1.9.2-p180 [ x86_64 ]
=> ruby-1.8.7-p334 [ x86_64 ]

Using RVM I can have all version and implementations of Ruby and multiple gem sets per Ruby as well. That way I can work on ruby-1.8.7@rail2 app or switch to ruby-1.92@rails3 which keep the gems separate. Also I avoid breaking the system when doing wacky things in my dev environment.

kashani