On Monday 25 April 2011 13:11:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Mick.
>
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 04:44:05PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 April 2011 14:25:58 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hi, Mick.

> > > That gives me a list of 24 packages.  Am I meant to actually run
> > > python-updater without the -p, here?
> >
> > That's correct.  As the man emerge say -p stands for --pretend.  Just
> > to give a chance to see what it wants to do and think about it before
> > you run it again without it for execution.
> >
> > You need to do this next.
>
> DONE.

> > > I do emerge --depclean -v -p.  It says I should run emerge -uDN
> > > @world first.  I'm a bit apprehensive about this, since the world
> > > update says it would reemerge 138 packages (I'm not sure whether this
> > > is top-level (whatever that means) packages or the real total).  In
> > > that list are 3 blockages I don't know wha do do with.  My experience
> > > suggests this will not work smoothly, and I'll likely be left with a
> > > non-working (or even a non-bootable) system.
> >
> > At this stage you should only run:
> >
> > python-updater -v
> >
> > Nothing else.
> >
> > Once it completes you can run --depclean which will ask you to remove
> > the older 2.6 python package.
>
> I had to (or, at least, did) run emerge -uND @world.  Funnily enough, it
> ran to completion without manual intervention.  :-)  I'd like to run
> --depclean, but it's threatening to remove my 2.6.31-r6 kernel sources,
> which correspond to my working kernel.  What's the easiest way to protect
> these from --depclean?

Aha! That's why I said first look at what it wants to remove - you don't want
to cripple your system.  In this case of course it won't cripple anything,
because it won't remove the kernel image from /boot/

If you look in /usr/src/linux/ you will see a number of kernel sources listed
in there.  If you've run update world there should be a more up-to-date kernel
awaiting for you to configure and compile it.  Do that first; copy the
necessary files into /boot; configure grub.conf to boot with you latest
kernel; and after you boot into it and check that all is good you can allow --
depclean to remove older kernel source files.

PS.  You may need to manually remove older source files left in
/usr/src/linux/ when depclean completes its job.
--
Regards,
Mick